Thursday 30 September 2010

Fallen Hero



He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog
You are his life, his love, his leader
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion
Author Unknown

I love the above poem and always think it could've been written for my superheroBillydog.

Well, I did ...

Yesterday I was working in a garden and best mate, Billy Woof, was happily helping as usual. I was walking along a flagstone path on my way to pick up a rake when something shot in front of me like a bouncing bomb - it scudded right underfoot and suddenly the world turned sideways and I landed in a messy heap. As I lay there gently flexing and probing for snapped bits of body my faithful boy came nuzzling and wagging, all concerned, to check I was OK. My hero. Very 'Lassie Come Home'. Or so I thought ... As I uncurled he pounced in and retrieved the windfall apple he'd decided was a great ball!!! Applications for a new best mate are now being taken. ;o)

2 comments:

  1. Nah, Billy reckons he's had a look to make sure you're OK and you needed to play out your part of the deal, get that apple for him, you'll never have another best mate like him :-)

    ReplyDelete