Tuesday 19 October 2010

Vaccinations

Oh yes, that dreaded annual event for Billy & Maisie. The bad bit is the kennel cough vaccine up the nose. I debate with myself about them having this vaccine every time, it really is a horrid thing to endure. What I decided this time was to have Billy done but not Maisie - two reasons: one is that though Billy is also very upset by it, he gets over things more easily than Maisie does; secondly, when Tim had his earlier in the year, Maisie developed a minor sniffle which suggests that she picked up some of the live vaccine shed from Tim's nose - harldy surprising as those two do live in each other's faces! Also, now Billy's been done there is a fair chance of him also shedding some of the vaccine to the other two and so they share the immunity around. Anyway, it'll have to do.
Today we saw the vet who originally dealt with Billy's heart issues and I was interested to hear what he thought of his heart now, whether there had been any deterioration - well, no!!! & not only that but it has improved again to the point that in every way it is within the "normal" range!! YippEEEEEE! He said that if he'd never met Billy before he wouldn't say that he was a dog who'd ever had a heart problem at all!!! Big smiles :-D I do so love that big soft dog.

Sulking
So then it was Maisie's turn. Went out to get her from the Landy. As she jumped out, on lead, she realised where she was going and she shot off. OMG, her lead slipped through my hand and she was away. I was soooo scared as it's near a road - can't believe I didn't doubly secure her, not like me at all as I'm completely paranoid about her safety especially. Of course I immediately leapt after her and dived to rugby tackle. My head nutting the wing of the car parked next to us made such a bang it actually startled her into stopping dead and I grabbed the lead as I landed, so she only actually got a couple of feet away. Ouch (again!! lol). So I gathered us together and staggered in, trying not to look like a total loon, but as I was sat there with her I could feel blood oozing through my trouser legs. I've got two badly grazed knees and an elbow - look like a 7-year-old after a bad playground tumble! and an egg on my head! Anyway, back to Maisie ... she did very well and also has a clean bill of health. Checked both their weights and they are both a little leaner than last year - Maisie about 14.8kg and Billy 17.9kg. I think Billy's slightly on the lean side myself but the vet was v pleased with him at that. I think their body shapes have changed for the better since they've been having more raw food.
Told you there's a whippet-slim doglet inside this Polar Bear suit, nurrr!
Also got a bucketful of their firework meds and we're as prepared as we can be for that horror to come.
So hopefully they will avoid the v.e.t. until next year ... Tim's due at a different time but he is soooo easy to do compared to the wibbly jelly pair.
Called to get them big bones as a treat on the way home but there were none, so they've got a big disgusting pile of tripe instead. Me, I need a stiff drink!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. OMG Stressful! Pix had her booster yesterday - she wasn't keen on going in but Bails held her hand to help her along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwwh well done you lot, what an outing!!! Special well done to Mr Billy-woof for being in such good shape, gosh what a man, not a wibbly-jelly at all, and always knew you had the perfect big heart!!!
    I'm wondering about the 3 year vaccine instead for Willow now she's getting older. Hope you enjoyed your drinky :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh well done Pickle for being brave and Bails for being a good big bro! I thought about taking Tim in with Maisie but decided I didn't have enough hands to control his snogging as well as look after Maisie :)

    Jules, ours only get one/some of the vaccines every 3 years - parvo I think? But they have lepto (I think) every year? (& KC yearly if they have that too.) x

    ReplyDelete