Monday 6 June 2011

Lucky Clover

Butter wouldn't melt ... or would it?!
Once upon a time there was a small golden puppy ...
It's taken me a few days to get my head round this story but here goes. She must've been about 10-12 weeks old when she was taken into Ennis Pound in Ireland as 'found straying'. I think I'm right in saying they have only three days to be claimed or killed there. Already she became one of the very lucky ones when she was taken out by a local rescue group. She was then put into foster care with a lady who obviously cared for her very much. Much of this story comes from a beautiful letter she's passed on with her and this is something to treasure; it even includes photos of her as the tiniest fluffy blonde bundle! She asked for her forever home to contact her to let her know the happy development of her story so I've just sent a very happy email! Clover was then called Kia-Kiora (odd but pretty name!) The lady says in her letter that she was starting to come out of her shy shell and loved playing wth her little niece, but then after a week she suddenly became terribly sick and was rushed into the vets. It turned out she had parvo and was a very poorly pup indeed; she was on a drip for five days and so nearly died ... The lady said that all the people in her village were praying for her and that somehow she miraculously pulled through!!! She then went on to stay with another kind foster family for a couple of weeks or so before being picked up on one of Many Tears amazing collection runs over the Sea, and she was then taken back to the centre in South Wales. The second foster family have also passed on more info about her and her development, etc. The first foster lady's letter explained how much she loved her and  would've loved to keep her herself but couldn't give her what she needed, and she signed her letter off saying "Goodbye my little princess ... hope you have a lovely life my little miracle puppy xxxxx". How amazing is that! 
So how did she end up here? I've been toying with the idea of adding number four (as you do!) and had a look around over a couple of months, but I then decided to be strong and wait until next spring ... I told a mate this on the Thursday evening and then on Friday lunchtime I had one last look round the rescue websites, and there she was ... Can't explain how I felt when I saw her except I literally stopped breathing! lol. I thought for about 20 seconds about all the reasons for being sensible and waiting, then filled in the online application anyway. A tense weekend followed - that one at Nottingham which was not good in many ways - on the Sunday I phoned and got the gutting news my application had been turned down! Couldn't believe it as Tim had already come from MT and I thought I had the perfect set-up for her. To cut out a lot of heartache and grovelling and me explaining exactly how she would fit into my working life, they finally agreed on Tuesday that she could come to live with us after all!!! (Huge thanks to ace mates who stopped me going completely nuts till the good news came!) So on Thursday a 10-hour round trip brought her home. Couldn't believe how tiny and sweet she was when I met her! She must be about 5 months old but small for her age and skinny, she has comedy knees and paws though so I think she'll grow and she is eating like a Shetland pony! She'd already been spayed which I felt a little sad about as I'd have liked her to grow first, but understand the pragmatism behind such policy. I was dreading the journey home - two years ago coming home with Tim was a stressy seatbelt-eating nightmare!... but she literally slept the whole way apart from loo breaks, ahhhh.
Considering what she's been through in her little life so far she is an incredibly well-adjusted pup - great social skills with dogs, shy with people at first but soon comes round, and she has completely bonded with me already and gives ace snuffly waggy smiley kisses. Her house-training is not bad at all, she kinda walks on a lead and has a recall(ish) - I've never let one off lead (in a safe place) so soon. She's a nutter and very playful, cheeky, hilarious, chewy, into everything, total kleptomaniac, hyperactive, a fuzzy whirlwind force of destruction - just as a young pup should be! What an absolute credit she is to that chain of kind people who helped her on her way, and what a very, very, very lucky pup she is to have received that help and care.
Oh, and contrary to rumour ... she is NOT Maisie and Tim's lovechild! Though she looks uncannily like she could be! She looks like a Welsh Sheepdog but presumably isn't? Her eyes are soooo like Maisie's (she was a v similar age when she came), a lad who'd spent time with her at Many Tears said she seems to gaze into your soul - and she really does - with shyness but trust. We all love her to bits already. Tim is astounding me as a 'big bro' and he worships at her fluffy little paws (delighted to have somone of his own mental age I think!! teehee) Maisie's been very sweet and gentle too, if a little wary in the house, but she is coming round and plays beautifully with her outdoors. Billy Woof seems quite pleased to have someone else to mutter and glare balefully at!
She is ace!!!!!!!!!!! xxxx
My biggest bro!
Hmmmmm?

Pwetty girlies!! xx
Coming mummeeee! :)
Duffing Ging!
Hehehehe!

8 comments:

  1. She is stunning, she has really finally landed on her paws, I am glad she has found such a great forever home - and with a big bro to worship her - what more can a little lady need?
    Good on you, I totaly understand how she just had to come home with you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww she is really beautiful and so lucky to have come to such an ace home with you and your gang :D You definatly had to fight for her to come to you she looks like shes settled in really well, they just amaze you how well they deal with things in their short lives and bounce back like it never happened. Really looking forward to meeting her and having a cuddle Cxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is a cutie!!!! Well done you, and silly Many Tears for turning you down at first!! Twiggy sends hugs to her new MT cousin xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys, specially Twiggy cousin! :) x
    I think MT turned me down at first as I maybe wasn't clear enough about my working hours and how she'd fit in, I guess I assumed coz they'd let Tim come & he's survived(!) they'd be easier about another! I'd rather they were too strict about re-homing criteria than not thorough enough, though some great homes are probably missed by most rescue orgs as lots of people wouldn't go back and beg shamelessly once turned down! lol. She's here now anyway and I'm grateful for everything that's been done for her :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just sooooooo pleased it worked out in the end (gosh all that horrid waiting for news, awful for you!) and she's home safe with you, can't wait to meet the 'ickle furry one xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky lucky Clover! She is a beautiful girl and what a heartbreaking story. I'm so pleased she has landed on her paws with you and can't wait to meet her in August. xxx

    ReplyDelete